Link Africa EPC (Pty) Ltd has a vacancy for a Junior SHEQ Officer within the KZN region.
Coordinate and monitor the implementation of the Company’s Health and Safety policy. To ensure that the Company and its Contractors comply with the requirements of legislation by monitoring contractor SHEQ compliance, attend and report at safety meetings and ensure statutory and regulatory compliance by conducting site audits.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Conduct pre implementation risk assessments on new sites if and when required and identify risk mitigation measures in conjunction with contractors
- Review Contractor Risk Assessment.
- Visit sites to assess work for compliance to specifications.
- Provide SHE improvement proposals, proposed corrective action, required resources for corrective action and plan of implementation on NCRs issued
- Follow up to ensure that corrective actions are implemented where necessary and ensure that requirements are complied with.
- Report on Contractor performance where repetitive matters are not being addressed according to LA’s requirements.
- Conduct SHE Committee Meetings (plan, scheduled and review)
- Attend meetings if and when required on behalf of the Company’s SHEQ department – Management meetings, technical meetings, Steering Committee meetings (weekly, monthly, quarterly)
- Attend contractor meetings and meetings with landlords / property owners and report on outcomes (Kick-Off, Site Meetings)
Investigation and Corrective Actions Reporting
- Investigate the root cause of SHEQ complaints put forward by staff members, customers clients and contractors and report the result to the SHEQ Manager/Regional Manager.
- Coordinate and participate in the investigation of incidents, accidents and near misses
- Prepare daily, weekly and monthly SHEQ reports, statistics and presentations related to SHE performance
- Report to the SHEQ Manager/Regional Manager., daily / weekly on corrective action taken by Contractors and close out of NCR reports.
Compile and submit investigation reports to the SHEQ Manager/Regional Manager.
- Ensure regular emergency response exercises and drills are conducted to ensure the highest level of preparedness in any emergency. Maintain records of such drills, providing recommendations for emergency response improvements
- Supervise the regular inspection of firefighting, safety and emergency response equipment at sites and offices.
- Assist in development and implementing of emergency response procedures and evacuation plans on site and offices. Ensure that these plans are reviewed and updated regularly.
- Ensure that the emergency plans are communicated to staff and visitors and update registers on training and induction.
- Audit all work being performed by contractors on civil, access and optical fibre build programs (in accordance with the Annual Audit Schedule)
- Provide detailed audit reports with findings. Identify non-conformities and provide corrective action measures to prevent re-occurrence
- Monitor and review that corrective measures have been implemented
Compliance and Documents
- Assist in developing all the required documentation, operational checks and reports for the SHE Management System to be compliant with OHSAS 18001/2007 and ISO 14001/2004 standards, including corrective and preventive measures (as a team with Safety Managers and / or Safety Officer of contractors)
- Review and amend standards, specifications, policies and procedures for approval
Induction and Site Files
- Ensure that Operations employees, contractors and site visitors receive SHE induction at KickOff meetings and before entering construction operations
- Review, Audit and provide feedback on contractor safety files
Monitoring Contractor Performance
- Monitor contractor performance and work sites by conducting continuous site visits and audits and compiling relevant reports.
- Escalate matters of continuous non-conformance
Job Safety and Analysis
- Establish Safe Work Procedures; Standard Operating Procedures and Safe Work Instructions for tasks as and when required.
- Monitoring the implementation of Safe Work Procedures, Instructions and protocols to determine continuous improvement.
SHE Administrative Duties
- Planning and coordinating SHEQ related training for regional staff in conjunction with National strategies, (Bookings, ensuring payments, follow through with certificates etc.)
- Ensure that all relevant employees medicals/ SHEQ certifications etc are up to date and copies maintained.
- Register and follow through with IOD cases through to finalisation.
- Maintaining and updating all relevant SHEQ department administrative folders pertaining to regional accountabilities & responsibilities
- Ensure accurate registration and record keeping of all legislative requirements in conjunction with national strategy pertaining to regional office i.e. (PPE registers, Awareness training registers, all office inspection related registers).
- Provide SHEQ training to all relevant internal employees as and when required.
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned from time to-time by management
Competencies and Minimum Requirements:
Knowledge, skills, and qualifications
- National Senior Certificate / Grade 12
- SAMTRAC Certificate or equivalent occupational SHE training
- Experience of implementing Health and Safety in a highly technical, complex industrial environment essential
- Exposure to and understanding of implementation of OHSAS 18001 / 14001 and ISO 9001
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience in monitoring and auditing of contractor safety performances
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Have good persuasion skills
- Fluency in English
- Excellent report writing skills
- Planning and organisational skills
This vacancy is open to all Internal Candidates. Interested candidates must email their detailed CV’s to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 28 February 2023. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be responded to.