Link Africa is in search of a Fibre Technician within the Cape Town Office.
- The Fibre Technician plays a prominent role in the Telecommunication industry, conducting installs and maintains fibre optic cable as and when required.
- The Fibre Technician works both inside and outside and is responsible to take care of the installation troubleshooting and other technical aspects.
- The Fibre Technician should have proper knowledge of various electronic components and computer operating systems.
- The Fibre Technician should have a proper understanding of cabling various electronic components.
- It is important for the Fibre Technician to have basic knowledge of the operation and application of electrical components and common measurement instruments. They must have hands-on experience to work with hand and power tools.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
The primary functions of the Fibre Technician include:
- Resolve, repair and install fibre optics systems (Layer1&2) and ensure that they work properly.
- Examine and replace faulty and old fibre optic cables and organize scheduled maintenance routines.
- Take care of fibre splicing and rectify fibre optic problem areas.
- Develop sensor indicators and conduct timely inspections to make sure that faulty fibre optic system does not destabilize its performance.
- Execute premises cabling and take care of the underground and underwater cabling requirements.
- Keep track of the signal strength of different devices to provide adequate performance.
- Formulate and maintain system records and system designs.
- 1st line support of facility and power incidents.
- 1st line support on Layer-2 incidents.
- Adheres to all the safety policies as defined by the EH&S act and the LA/H20 policies regarding Safety.
- Adherence to Fleet policy, SHEQ requirements, IT policy and all other applicable LA/H20 policies.
- Oversee, monitor and mentor the Assistant Technician.
- Any other tasks/duties as allocated and required by the line manager.
- Field based with excessive driving.
- Extended and irregular work hours where applicable to meet deliverables.
- Work during weekends and public holidays as required.
- Standby and overtime as required.
Knowledge, qualifications and experience
- National Certificate or equivalent
- Post-secondary education in electronics, telecommunications, or computer technology.
- On-the-job training and industry certification is an added advantage.
- Fibre Optic Association Certified (FOA) or Certified Fibre Optic Technician (CFOT)
- 3 years’ technical experience in the Optical Fibre environment (Construction and Maintenance)
- Must have a clean valid driver’s license with >3 years driving experience
- Knowledge of Environmental, Health and Safety Management regulations pertaining to fibre optic installations
- Knowledge and understanding of ICT industry is essential
- Knowledge of test equipment (OTDR) and Health and Safety is recommended
- Problem solving individuals with a competitive nature will stand out above the peers
- Computer Literacy: Good working knowledge of MS Outlook and other applicable software.
- Splicing: Able to joint optical fibres end-to-end, using heat. Registration as an FOA
- Splicer (5-day course) is highly recommended
- OTDR Analysis: Good working knowledge of fault finding / testing equipment OTDR
- Data Integrity: Update applicable documentation to ensure accurate records are maintained
- Technical Applications: Remain conversant on technical applications used in the telecommunications
Personal attributes/Behavioural Competencies
|Identifies problems, analyses problems, generates workable solutions and resolves problems according to acceptable quality standards.
|Puts in sufficient effort to meet or exceed business and customer expectations both in terms of delivery and quality. Able to act without being prompted to. Demonstrates a sense of urgency, self-motivation and ownership in work. Has a need for achievement.
|Handles work related stress, pressure and difficulties. Bounces back from obstacles and setbacks, ensuring work continuity. Remains optimistic and persistent.
|Is honest, responsible and moral interactions with colleagues and customers. Demonstrates principles of decent human conduct. Adopts organisational values and is fair to
all people regardless of who they are. Adopts job related standards of conduct and professionalism.
|all people regardless of who they are. Adopts job related standards of conduct and professionalism.
|Attentive to Detail
|Thorough. Gives care and consideration to all parts and aspects of tasks. Considers fine points.
|Systematically structures/plans own time and implements this plan. Able to prioritise and action tasks within given timeframes without compromising on quality. Create contingency plans to cater for unforeseen circumstances.
|Writing and Reporting
|Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well-structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
This vacancy is open to all Internal Candidates. Interested candidates must email their detailed CV’s to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 28 february 2023. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be responded to.